Thursday 6 February 2014

Research: Existing Conventions - Logos and Films Typography

Initially, before creating my film title I used web 2.0 in order to research existing successful well known horror titles within the slasher sub genre of horror. The objective of utilising and researching these titles was so I could incorporate themes or slight elements of these cult classics into my own film typography's so that my demographic can recognise the title immediately due to intertextuality. This will then spur a word of mouth effect among my demographic as it  caters to their needs effectively, making a more successful film. I found that Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Friday 13th all had the colour coding in the common, although Texas Chainsaw Massacre lacked the colour of red, but still  maintained the horror look through the creepy, fearful looking typography which resonates as a slasher horror title.













I was also able to use Google to research different film production company logos which was able to help me make a decision on my final production company logo.
Using dafont, I was able to use my knowledge from researching existing typographies and create my own. I then had inserted these typograhpies into photoshop, were I was able to change the colours and sizes, and therefore led to me creating a variety of typographies




In the end, we had come to a group decision and decided on the following typography. We decided on this typography as we felt it contained all 3 colours that convey the horror slasher genre, and it also reinforces gore, and danger due to the dripping blood effect. We also reflected the letter 'R' for Return as this represents the narrative, as the character Ruby is 'returning' from the dead, and therefore is coming back, rather than going away. A further reason why we decided to use this typography was due to the fact the design was made to look like ripped flesh by using both colours red and white to create this look, with dripping bits of blood which reinforces a horror genre. 











No comments:

Post a Comment