Thursday 6 February 2014

Audience Qualitative Data

In order for me to further develop my ideas for my poster and magazine from its templates that I had created, I decided to show my templates to a group of people aged the same as my target audience, with both males and females. This was able to give me a more accurate response to help me make my decision based on the qualitative data I have collected, based on the focus groups opinions.

I had shown all three of my templates to the focus group in order to receive their opinions. Majority of the focus group had preferred Fangoria due to the imagines containing the most gore, and therefore this was easily recognisable for my audience as a slasher/horror genre. As this was proven by the feedback I had received as the most popular magazine, I decided to maintain my focus on Fangoria. The group didn’t seem to understand the meaning behind magazine templates of Little White Lies and how it could convey a sense of horror, and therefore this was seen as the least popular.

Some of the people within the focus group liked the idea that Little White Lies is seen as a unique form for a magazine, and their opinions expressed unique products are seen to be successful. However, due to our trailer containing a lot of gore and blood, the focus group decided the best magazine template for our trailer was Fangoria, as this can be easily related to our trailer. Therefore, after hearing qualitative feedback from the focus group, I decided to go with Fangoria. Although some of the viewers didn’t like the idea of gore as they describe this as ‘unbearable to see’, I think it is a good way to portray my trailer due to the amount of gore presented in both Fangoria, and my trailer.

For my poster, I had received a variety of opinions amongst the focus group who liked difference aspects on my poster templates. Firstly I had shown the group my first template containing an image of the group of friends, which some of the focus group liked the idea of as it explains a bit of the narrative as it portrays a group of teenage friends in a forest, which could portray they are trapped, reinforcing the genre instantly. However some of the group preferred an extreme close up of the villain which was portrayed in a ‘creepy’ way. After explaining to the group what this image could portray, majority of the group changed their opinions and preferred the template containing this image. The group also liked the idea of the cast and crew along with festivals being displayed along the bottom as they believed this helped them identify the fact this was a poster. The group as a whole were very satisfied with the typography that was displayed as they believe this reinforces the genre of the film, and could also present parts of the narrative due to the dripping blood effect, reinforcing death.


Therefore, gathering these opinions based on my target audience, I am going to integrate these opinions to help build a formulaic poster and magazine, and also cater to my demographics needs and wants. I will also include other conventional aspects that need to be included which could further help my audience recognise a poster/magazine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment