Thursday 6 February 2014

Brief

During my A2 project, I was asked to create using my own knowledge and skills that I had learnt, a trailer, film poster and magazine front cover, all related to the genre of horror. We had put ourselves in the position of producers to create a low budget slasher film. In order to do this I had conducted some research, followed by planning, which led to the construction of my project. To sum it all up this was then followed by four evaluation questions explaining the steps I had taken throughout the project, my strengths and weaknesses.

As stated, my project took place in three different forms, trailer, magazine and a poster, which had all been designed to help promote our slasher film. Although, the trailer was done in a group of four where we had all shared knowledge ideas and skills, whereas the magazine and poster was done individually, to show what individual skills and knowledge we knew, which was therefore presented in these two pieces. I had also conducted some Qualitative and Quantitative research by using Questionpro.com, which had allowed me to create a series of questions to ask my potential target audience, and also to find out their needs and wants. I had then posted the link to my questionnaire on social media such as Facebook and Twitter, where there was a guarantee my questionnaire would be passed around as my target audience was teenagers, and therefore majority of teenagers use social media. I had also did some background research into existing slasher film trailers such as Halloween, Scream, Friday 13th etc, magazines such as Fangoria, Little White Lies, and lastly film posters such as Child's Play, House of Wax.

I had also done some in depth research on the history of genre horror, looking at the influences that has led to its development, and the examples in different horror films that portray this. Starting from looking at German expressionism, film noir, and also modern day horror films, and was able to see the trend that led to the development of horror films. I had seen examples from the film Pyscho starting off the trend, followed by Halloween, Friday the 13th, to then be slightly challenge by Scream, which then led to later developments of different types of slasher films.

Although, during the research stage, I had made sure I understood the difference between the production of a blockbuster film and an independent film. For instance blockbuster films have much more money to help make their films seem more realistic, compared to independent films who have a low budget. During my research I have learnt that Independent films have been as successful in the past as blockbuster films. For instance an independent film such as Paranormal Activity which was seen to be a film based on true stories, had been very successful. This therefore is beneficial to me as it allows me to create a slasher film with a low budget, knowing it can be successful.

I had also created scripts for my actors that took part in my trailer, ensuring there was a good structure put into place when my team and I went out for shoots. I had also created a story board to give the film a good sense of direction, allowing us to know where our trailer was heading. During our shoots, I had also ensured there were risk assessments carried out in case of any hazards or accidents that occurred, and also a script ensuring our actors where comfortable with their role, and also helps the shoot run smoothly.

Towards the end of my project, I was able to successfully answer the four evaluation questions, and being able to answer questions about my process throughout the project, the skills and knowledge I had applied, new skills I had learnt and also strengths and weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment