Thursday 6 February 2014

2. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

All three of my products magazine, poster and trailer were created to help promote each other, with the end goal being to promote my film. My poster tonally matches my trailer, and therefore the tone of these two reinforces the horror genre.  The way in which my audience will know that all three products are promoting my film The Return, is by maintaining a consistent brand identity, and creating a mode of address.  This can be done by maintaining the same typography, colours, and style. The idea of the poster, magazine and trailer maintaining a brand identity is so the audience can recognise this, and therefore all three can work together to create synergy. For instance, the image on my magazine will also be shown in my trailer, so the audience feel a sense of recognition.

One way in which I had maintained a brand identity is by using red as my main colour for my typography title, and this is due to the fact red has connotations of blood, death, fear and danger. Therefore this would reinforce the slasher genre. The style shows a dripping blood effect reinforces the idea that the teenagers within the trailer are in danger, and also represents the genre. Although, my title is mixed with red with hints of white, and this was done in order to create a ripped up flesh look, which also reinforces the genre.

Altogether, I have used the colours red, white and black in order to maintain a brand identity, and this decision was made primarily due to our target audience selecting these three colours as what they think represents a horror genre, through our online survey. There is also the fact of red and black reinforcing the idea of death, dull, depressing, blood, fear, which all relate to a horror genre, where as white would relate to the innocence of the teenagers. Therefore, by keeping these three colours consistent
throughout my three products, it would be easier for my audience to recognise that they are all promoting my final film,

As stated, my poster and magazine are working together in order to help me promote my trailer. However, The Return is a low budget independent film, and therefore I cannot rely on my poster and magazine to completely promote my trailer. This therefore means that my film cannot benefit from horizontal and vertical integration. Vertical integration is where a company has shares or owns each part of the production and distribution process. Vertical integration usually involves mainstream blockbuster films, hence why we will not benefit from this. As a result, this shows that we cannot benefit from vertical integration as we are a low budget film, and would not be able to afford our production and distribution being shared or owned by other expensive companies. Whereas Horizontal Integration is where an organisation develops by buying up competitors in the same section of their market. Horizontal integration includes benefits such as being able to own companies that create other media forms that can help promote my film such as Television, Radio and publishing online, which are examples of synergy, however this is not useful for me as this is not available for me,
due to the fact I am a low budget independent producer. Therefore, my film will not benefit from Horizontal Integration as we are an independent low budget film and will not be bought by any company due to the fact we are not mainstream, and therefore cannot affect any mainstream horror films, as we are not a part of a multinational conglomerate. Therefore in order to help promote my trailer I will use independent distributors to help promote my low budget film. Vertical and horizontal integration are structured in a Marxist way. This is due to the fact those such as Karl Marx who quotes ‘’power resides with those who have ownership and control of the means of production and distribution’’, and due to this, this reinforces vertical and horizontal integration as they both include elements of production and distribution, and therefore this relates to Marxism.

I would therefore need to take a multi-platform approach in order to help promote my trailer.  This is due to the fact we have a niche, fragmented audience, and it would be difficult to reach our audience without using a many to many approach, and therefore will not have the same coverage as a wide release blockbuster film. A multi-platform approach may include methods such as placing my trailer on YouTube, so that my audience are able to copy and paste the link onto different social media websites, which could lead to it turning viral. There is also the fact of a Facebook fan page, where information, pictures and videos can be posted of The Return, and this would draw in attention from our target audience. A further platform may include creating our own website for The Return, and this is posted on our end card of our trailer for our audience can visit, and this could include information, entertainment such as games, competitions, which is proving emphasis on interactivity, it can also provide interesting pictures and videos, and therefore by doing this, this would reinforce Uses and Gratification theory.  Films such as ‘Paranormal Activity’ and the ‘Blair Witch Project’

were overly successful with their websites with high degrees on interactivities. Both films were seen to be successful with their website primarily due to the fact they had stated their films were based on true events, and both had hand held camera to seem like personal footage, which is usually something that interests the audience. This also encouraged exchange for them and exchange includes people trying to promote the film in their own way e.g. copying a scene from the film and putting it on YouTube, which is therefore further promoting the film. This is why we are using all these multi platforms, to help get our film recognised and liked, and therefore encourage exchange, to further help promote our film from possible ‘fans’ from our film, or those positive opinion leaders.

Both my poster and trailer together convey a sense of the narrative, and this is because I have control over the brands identity, and what should be portrayed on both products. This can be seen on the poster as it contains an imagine of the villain which is portrayed in a powerful position, and this image would also be shown in the trailer, and therefore easily recognisable for our consumers. However, within my magazine, we do not have the same control over the brand identity as it is a separate text which would be produced by a separate organisation, which is Fangoria.

Those who we call opinion leaders as the two step flow model suggests, could create a positive buzz about The Return, and create their own fan page websites, along with other horror genre films, and this would allow my film to have a chance in escaping into mainstream. A popular social media such as Twitter is commonly used by my target audience, and therefore we could create an account and encourage fans to use hashtags in order to create a trend for The Return, and also allow the audience to follow actors on twitter so they are able to get a feel of the production. Therefore, these different platforms are successful ways in which I can reach my target audience, and helps create the snowball effect for my film The Return. However, I had to use old and new forms of media to get to my audience due to my target audience being between 16-24 year olds, therefore the younger demographic usually use new media’s, and the slightly older demographic will use forms from both media’s, and therefore by using old and new media, this can help my film turn viral. This is a successful way as it is cheap and easy to do, and is beneficial to us considering we have created independent low budget film. Social networks are also available throughout ‘smart phones’ which are commonly used by my target audience. Within the smart phone, my audience are able to access YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and our website, which therefore reinforces cross media convergences.

In the end, I think if I stick with a multi-platform approach and by working with an independent distributor, I will have a positive chance of my film reaching out to my target audience. Also, if I am able to maintain a consistent brand identity across all my products, this would be easier for my audience to identify The Return.

No comments:

Post a Comment